Macaronia tou fournou recipe
A few weeks ago I posted a photo of my favourite greek dish to my Instagram. My inbox went crazy with messages asking for a recipe. So here it is, the most delicious greek pasta dish. Macaronia you fournou (macaroni in the oven.) This is my Yia Yia's recipe handed down. It's super tasty and is great with a simple greek salad and hummus.
300g tube-shaped pasta
750g minced beef
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of chopped mint
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 bay leaf
3 stock cubes
2 pints of milk
7 tablespoons of plain flour
Large deep ovenproof dish
Preheat your oven to 200C = 400F = gas mark 6
· Boil a pan of water and cook 300g tube-shaped pasta along with 1 stock cube.
· Chop 2 onions and brown in a pan. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and a little chopped thyme. stir until caramelised.
· Chop 1 clove of garlic and add to the pan, saute for a further 1 minute.
· Add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree to your pan, you want to make sure you cook this for around 2-3 minutes. this will give more body to the final dish.
· Add your 750g minced beef and brown.
· Add a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of mint, 1 stock cube, and 1 bay leaf.
· Simmer for 10-12 minutes until it soaks up all the liquid.
· Remove bay leaves and set aside for later.
· Moving onto the bechamel. Add 2 pints of milk into a large pan.
· Add large 7 tablespoons of flour and mix vigorously on medium heat until smooth.
· Once your mixture is smooth, bring to the boil then simmer until thick. You want to ensure you keep mixing so that it does not stick or burn. The white sauce should be very thick.
· Add half a block of halloumi cheese to the white sauce and mix through, allow to cool for 2-3 minutes
· Whisk 2 eggs and add to the white sauce, ensure to mix quickly to stop them scrambling.
· Take 1 scoop of white sauce and add it to the mince, then add another scoop to the pasta and stir through. This is so all the layers stick together.
· Start layering. Add all the pasta to the bottom of your dish, then add the mince, then the white sauce.
· Finish by covering in the rest of the halloumi cheese.
· Cook for 40 minutes until golden brown
You can eat straight away, but, it is best to allow it to sit for around half an hour before serving.
Enjoy your big greek pasta feast.
Be sure to let me know if you try this recipe and tag me in your Instagram photos.